Summary

• Dividends received: 4
  • Dividend Income in September 2017 landed:  258 NOK or $33.61
  • Almost $300 LESS than the total dividend income from September 2016!
  • No reinvestments
  • Sold Telenor with a 40% total return

Hello everyone, once again it’s time for one of my favourite posts, namely the monthly Dividend Income Report. As you loyal readers know, you can always find my updated income by looking at Dividend Income. From the looks of it, it seems like the dividend-blog community has blasted through September 2017 breaking record after record. As for me, September has actually been quite boring, but let’s go ahead and take a look:

Dividends Received

• Target (TGT), 111.70 NOK or $14
  • Global Superdividend (SDIV), 2 NOK or $0.25
  • Compass Minerals Inc (CMP), 89 NOK or $10.80
  • Realty Income Group (O), 70 NOK or $8.80

As you can see, last year’s dividend was much higher. Why? Well, last year I owned two companies, Shipping Finance Limited (SFL) and BWLPG which yielded from 12% to 25%. However, I sold BWLPG afterward because they needed to cut their dividend (also sold SFL). Chasing high yielders will provide a big fat check, but is it sustainable? Not likely. I’m now much more focused on having companies that have a low payout ratio and good solvency.

Another argument is basically that September isn’t a good month for me. However, November should provide some nice fat checks so that we reach $1,100 – $1,200 in total dividend income.

Total Dividend Income 2017

• The Total Dividend Income for 2017 is $945, so we are pretty close to the $1000 now. Looking forward to crossing that line.

BUY/SELL

I sold Telenor (Norwegian telecom company) and took a total profit of around 40%. For me, Telenor was a trade when I bought it at around 127 NOK at the beginning of January 2017. At that point, the newspapers and the press were very hard on the new CEO since it turned out he had “cheated” on his scores from the university (long and complicated case). The point is that Telenor was down a lot and the price looked attractive. Right now, the price isn’t so nice anymore, and with pretty low solvency and high fundamental data, I wanted to sell to raise some cash.

If you find this blog post or my blog informative, maybe you could take a look at the ads and see if you find something interesting? By clicking on one of my ads you help support my work. Thanks.

Subscribe to the Stockles Newsletter and join me in my investment and travel adventures

What’s Happening In The Near Future?

A) First, I´m going to have eye-laser-surgery so that I don’t have to wear glasses anymore. It should cost around $4,000, pretty expensive but worth it. I’m going to write a huge post about why this surgery actually is smart, from a financial point of view.

B) Second, I’m moving to Tokyo, Japan for 5 months at the beginning of the next year, so I want to have some cash in hand so that I’m able to travel around and explore this beautiful country. Therefore, I’m likely going to SELL SBUX (Maybe Target too?) which is a great DGI stock, but I think my purchase price at $54 is a bit to high, proving a small margin of safety. With a low yield of around 2% and high multiples, it might be time to consider exiting SBUX for now.

Remember: Even though we are savers, frugal people thinking long-term about the future, it’s important to live right now. For me, both A and B will provide my life with a lot more joy, so I don´t feel bad at all using a lot of money. It´s not waste! It´s investing in yourself!

How was your September? Are you selling or buying any shares? Investing in yourself? Please, do tell!

Take care,

The Beta Post · October 4, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I do like your view on frugality. You should definitely make the most of your semester abroad when you have the chance!

When it comes to high yielders I have a few of those, but moving more towards safer stocks in the future. It’s easy to fool yourself by just looking at the current yield.

Good luck with the surgery!
The Beta Post recently posted…Dividend report September 2017My Profile

Stockles · October 6, 2017 at 8:01 am

Hi The Beta Post,

Totally agree. High yield is awesome, but it´s also scary. One needs to closely watch the solvency and so on so that a dividend cut isn´t close.

Thanks for the nice comments about Japan and the surgery. I´ll do my best, but will of course never forget you readers =)

RobertW · October 4, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Nice post as always! Looks like you’re on track to beating the dividend income from last year when you get those november payouts! Keep the snowball rolling. Japan will be awesome too, have a great time there! It’s an amazing country and the people are amazingly polite. It sure is a different culture.

Stockles · October 6, 2017 at 7:59 am

Hi RobertW,

Thanks! Yes! I started out by saying that I wanted to beat $1000. Because of the USD/NOK it might have to be around $1080 to get to 8500 NOK, but it´s still going one way, and that is up.

I´ll post some stuff for you from Japan =)

Dividend Portfolio · October 4, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Great post Stockles. I actually had PRK done on my eyes a couple of years ago. It’s nice not having to worry about wearing glasses, but my eyes are still not perfect (even though the doctors say I’m 20/15).

I think you make a great point about enjoying life right now. So, have fun in Japan. Finally, despite this month being less than last year’s total, you’re still earning dividends passively. You’re conscious about money habits, and that’s half the battle.
Dividend Portfolio recently posted…September 2017 Dividend Income ReportMy Profile

Stockles · October 6, 2017 at 7:57 am

Interesting. Any reason why it didn´t go towards 0?

I´ll do my best to enjoy Japan 100%, and you are right, money earned while sitting on your ass is always positive.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mr. Robot · October 5, 2017 at 6:18 am

I think by enjoying life now as well as saving/investing hard. What point is having a million dollar portfolio when you’re too old to do something with it?

Looking forward to your next month!
Mr. Robot recently posted…Additional Birthday-buy in SeptemberMy Profile

Stockles · October 6, 2017 at 7:55 am

Hi Mr. Robot,

Right?! Finding the balance between saving and using is what I find the hardest about money management. Generelly, I´m a saver, but one needs to spend money in order to do stuff.

Looking forward to it too=) Thanks for stopping by!

Mr. ATM · October 9, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Japan is a lovely country and people are very nice and polite. I love the food there, especially their bakeries and coffee shops. Man, I am getting hungry just thinking about Japan 🙂

Have fun and take care.

Mr. ATM
Mr. ATM recently posted…My Magic Heat Map Says: IBM Shares Ripe For BuyingMy Profile

Dividend Diplomats · October 11, 2017 at 2:50 am

On the cusp of crossing $1,000 in total. Very nice Stockles. Sure, it sucks that your dividend income total decreased compared to last year, right? However, after reading your article, it sounds like you made the right move to move your investments into investments that have a more sound dividend with a long term history of sustaining their payout. Keep up the great work!

Bert

DivHut · October 23, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Always inspiring to read how others have been doing with their passive income streams. Keep doing what you are doing. Slowly but surely build up those dividends. Enjoy Japan next year. It’s a great place. I think I might hold on to SBUX for the long haul. It always sported a high multiple but is still growing. Thanks for sharing.
DivHut recently posted…Baby DivHut Dividend Income Portfolio Update Q3 2017My Profile

Stockles · October 25, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Hi Divhut,

Slow and steady wins the race! That´s true. SBUX will probably never be cheap (compared to peers). Haven´t sold anything yet. Thanks for commenting!

Yurii · March 27, 2018 at 10:43 am

Yes, these are valuable points. Thanks for sharing!

Why I Sold Target (TGT) - Stockles Blog · March 14, 2019 at 7:19 am

[…] I said in my latest Dividend Income Update, I have a lot of stuff going on, and most of these events will cost […]